3.08.2005

Does free entertainment exist in Dallas anymore?

"God, I hate being poor..."

That's one of the most idiotic statements I've ever heard myself utter, I admit. I mean, when one stops to think about it, when was the last time anyone ever heard someone expound on the happy wonders of being penniless? It's a small, masochistic group, if it does exist. I don't think there are any people who really enjoy being without money, so saying this was obviously pretty stupid of me. But, nonetheless, I caught myself saying it last week. And just because it's obvious doesn't make the phrase less pertinent in my life.

My recent bout of unemployment, and the subsequent acquisition of a low-paying temp-to-perm job has reminded me that I'm not past the days of having to watch my pennies. Somehow, after graduating college and getting involved in a long-term relationship that developed into a marriage, I figured I was past the days of eating Ramen and skipping the occasional dinner. Well, if you do happen to come over and join me for dinner, keep in mind that "picante shrimp" and "oriental" flavored noodles may be an option.

Regardless, I'm not very disappointed with this turn of events. It's actually been a fairly enlightening development in my life. I've found time to appreciate the things that I do have. Going out for dinner is a treat once again, not just "grabbing something to eat". I'm happy in my job, which is something I haven't been in a long time. I've spent some quality time with friends, when I've had the opportunity at least...and have remembered that I should book more time just to hang out, because there's lots to be done without spending money. Not every rendezvous needs to involve bee....ummm.....Get-togethers don't need to have liq....errrr.... Well, hey, we can be hang out without alcoh.....damn it, I just can't say it. I'm working on that thought process though. :P

So, skip this next part if you wish, but an editorial addendum follows:
I had a comment made in one of my posts the other night that hit home a bit. I'm sure it may have been meant to be more insulting to me than I actually took it, but that's okay. I really don't mind all that. I had commented on having a bout of blog envy of late, and some of my thoughts on the subject. Well, you can read it if you like. The anonymous poster mentioned that perhaps my dissatisfaction with life, etc., and dismal tone to my "posts" were the reason I wasn't enjoying the online success I craved. And then he said something that I wholeheartedly agree with and didn't realize:

"I wonder if your friends are offended by the comment about having no love in your life. I would be. Not one of the things you've mentioned has anything to do with being happy."

Very true, Mr. Anony Mous. And I do great disservice to my friends by not saying how much I treasure their support and love (pardon the sappiness if you can here, but it is heartfelt...). They've been the rock I've leaned on all my life, and over the last few months especially. And, while I don't agree with all of Mr. Mous' statements, I do agree that there's no reason why I shouldn't have something to offer people who take the time to read my blog. Try to share a bit more of the happiness, if you will. So, I am going to make a very conscious effort to provide stuff that, if not cheery, at least makes you feel like you've read something interesting, and not just moping. This blog doesn't exist to SOLELY entertain you good folks though. I hope that is the main product of it, but I do want to explore my own life a bit too. So, I can't promise it won't have a melancholy post here and there, but I'll do my best to provide compelling content. I guess I'll continue with the introspection...the slices of life...humorous events from my days when they happen...funny things I find online....I guess, basically anything I want. But, I'll try to warn you before the rants come, so you can scroll down the page if you want to miss them. Thanks for coming and thanks for reading...

No comments: